Posted by Dave on June 20, 2012
If you ever needed proof that your government was broken and that those elected to watch over the well being of the American people were failing to do their most basic duty to protect our interests over corporations, you have to look no further than yesterday's Senate vote on the 2012 Farm Bill.
Late last night, members of the U.S. Senate voted 33 to 66 against a healthy food amendment that would have restored funding to vital nutrition programs and cut excessive government subsidies to private crop insurance companies.
By voting against the Gillibrand amendment 66 U.S. Senators boldly told the world that they would rather support massive government subsidized profits for corporations rather than support minimal funding for healthy food for America's neediest children.
Despite this major loss for healthy, sustainable food advocates, a number of victories have been won in the Senate in the last 24 hours, including Sherrod Brown's (D-OH) amendment (#2445) to support Beginning Farmers and Ranchers which passed yesterday and Senator Merkley's (D-OR) amendment (#2382) on organic crop insurance. These are great victories for eaters and family farmers, but the fight is still far from over!
Right now three vital amendments will come up for a vote at any moment on the Senate floor and we need your Senator to hear from you today!
Here's a revised list of the amendments that Food Democracy Now! and our allies for a healthy, sustainable food system are supporting. Please call your Senators today and tell them that you support these amendments:
- Sanders Amendment No. 2310 Allows states to label genetically engineered foods. (60-vote threshold)
- Chambliss Amendment No. 2438 Links the receipt of federally subsidized crop insurance to basic conservation requirements.
- Durbin-Coburn Amendment No. 2439 Limits the amount of insurance subsidies for the wealthiest farmers.
- LOSS - Gillibrand Amendment Restores funding for vital nutrition programs and limits excessive payments to crop insurance companies.
- VICTORY - Merkley Amendment Creates an organic crop insurance program that offers organic farmers.
- VICTORY - Brown Amendment Provides mandatory funding for Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development.
Thanks for participating in food democracy,
Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team