We regret to inform you, but this morning at 10:54 AM EST, Congress passed the Continuing Resolution, HR 933 that contained the dangerous provision that strips the important concept of “judicial review” from our courts, caving to Monsanto.
Now President Obama must sign the resolution into law. We need your help to stop this outrage!
As Food Democracy Now! and our allies alerted you this past week, the passage of Section 735 strikes a major blow against America’s constitution, citizens, farmers and the environment that undermines our basic democratic rights in favor of continued corporate welfare and failed oversight of GMO crops.
Even if their new GMO crops are ultimately proven to be harmful to human health or the environment, Section 735 allows them to be planted the minute the USDA approves them!
Even more alarming, currently 13 new crops are awaiting approval at the USDA and AquaBounty’s GMO salmon is on the verge of being approved by the FDA. This new provision opens the door wide open for these approvals.
The floodgates are literally open for Monsanto, DuPont and Dow Chemical’s new GMO crops that are resistant to more toxic chemicals like 2,4-D, Agent Orange and dicamba that will replace failing Roundup Ready GMO crops.
According to legal experts, this provision would create a precedent-setting limitation on judicial review and is a dangerous assault on fundamental federal and judicial safeguards needed to protect America’s farmers, citizens and the environment from the wanton approval of Monsanto's new GMO crops.
We need YOU to do 2 Things right Now!
These emails are targeted to the appropriate aides' inboxes and they need to hear from you today!
Both the House and Senate have pass the Monsanto Protection Act and we need you to take action and spread the word to your family and friends.
We know phone calls are sometimes tough, but the 13 new crop approvals waiting in the wings are worse! Please take the extra 2 minutes today. It's worth it to not lose our Constitution to the likes of Monsanto, DuPont or Dow Chemical.
We provided a super easy script to follow. Don’t worry, we won’t ask you to stand out in the cold like our brave soldiers did at Valley Forge to defeat the Red Coats.
All we’re asking is you take a few minutes to make a phone call to the White House and Congress to tell Obama to use the line item veto to strip Section 735 from the Continuing Resolution.
Thank the "good guys"
If you live in Montana, California, New York, Vermont, Alaska or Connecticut be sure to thank your senators for standing up for our rights! Thank Senator Tester and his co-sponsors Senators Boxer, Gillibrand, Leahy, Begich and Blumenthal for introducing an amendment to strip Section 735 from the bill.
At this point, it’s pretty clear that you and your friends could be the last line of defense democracy has in protecting family farmers, citizens and the environment from Monsanto’s out of control lobbying efforts.
It’s time to make a stand!
Tell President Obama and your Senators and Congressperson that their actions are not going unnoticed by the American people.
Thanks for participating in food democracy,
Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team
1. “H.R. 933: Department of Defense, Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Full-Year ... (Concurring in the Senate Amendment)”, which contains Section 735, the Monsanto Protection Act passes Congress 318-109.
2. “H.R. 933: Department of Defense, Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Full-Year (On Passage of the Bill)” March 20, 2013
3. “House Votes to Prevent Government Shutdown, Support Troops and Veterans”, March 6, 2013
4. “Monsanto Protection Act, Section 735 Language from Senate Continuing Resolution, HR 933,” Passed Senate vote 73-26, March 20, 2013 Page 80
5. “Sen. Tester: Who Put These Agribiz-Friendly Riders into This Unrelated Bill?” Mother Jones, March 15, 2013
6. "‘Monsanto Protection Act’ would keep GMO crops in the ground during legal battles ", Grist, June 29, 2012