Last week, Maine's governor signed a GMO labeling bill into law, making Maine the 2nd state to pass a bill to protect citizen's rights to know if their food has been genetically engineered in a laboratory, This took place only a few weeks after a similar bill was signed in Connecticut! This is incredible progress, but both of those states require 4 other states to pass similar legislation before going into effect.
This week in Concord, an important vote will take place in the New Hampshire House to determine if the Granite state could become the 3rd state to pass such a bill.
At the same time, Monsanto and Big Food are trying to subvert state's rights and outlaw state GMO labeling bills before we can get the next one passed!
This is urgent and we need your help this week to put the pressure on NH representatives to do the right thing and Vote Yes on HB 660.
1. Please make the call! - If you have a two minutes to spare today - make a call to your legislator and let them know you support strong mandatory GMO labeling! Tell New Hampshire to pass a bill this year! Every voice counts!
Support GMO Labeling - Help Pass HB 660 a Strong Consumer Protection Bill!
VOTE SCHEDULED Wednesday, JAN 15TH:
This week a vote is scheduled to take place in the NH House on HB 660 a bill "Requiring Labeling of Genetically Engineered Foods & Agricultural Commodities,” on January 15th on the House floor. Make sure your legislators here from you today!
- HB 660 Will Pass Constitutional Challenge. The language in New Hampshire's HB 660 has been reviewed by legal and constitutional experts who remain confident that should it be challenged in court, it will stand up to constitutional scrutiny.
- Right-to-Know is a Basic Consumer Right. HB 660 is a consumer rights bill aimed at providing simple label transparency to New Hampshire citizens. It doesn't make a judgment as to whether GMOs are good or bad - it just requires food manufacturers to be honest and let citizens know whether a food is the result of genetic engineering.
- GMO Labeling Costs Will NOT Cause Food Price Increases. Food corporations already regularly change their labels for marketing reasons. Practical GMO labeling experience worldwide, as well as university studies prove that mandatory GMO labeling, will NOT affect the price consumers pay for food.
- No Scientific Consensus on Safety of GMOs. Despite continued claims from Monsanto and the biotech industry, significant disagreement within the scientific community remains about the safety of genetically engineered crops and their accompanying pesticides, such as the popular weedkiller Roundup. Earlier this year more than 300 scientists signed a declaration stating No scientific consensus on GMO safety.
- According to a scientific poll conducted this fall, 90 % of New Hampshire voters support their right to know about GMO food.
This is an urgent vote and hands on deck moment! If you've already made a call, please forward this information onto everyone that you know!
Already citizens in 64 other countries enjoy the basic right of knowing if their food has been genetically engineered in a laboratory. But for the past 20 years Americans have been denied this democratic right because of powerful special interests of Big Food, the biotech industry and agribusiness lobbyists.
You can help change that today! For years, activists across New Hampshire have been working hard to introduce reasonable legislation that would give this basic information to consumers about their food.
In the past two years, Monsanto and giant junk food companies have spent more than $70 million to kill GMO labeling in California and Washington, we can't let them get away with it in New Hampshire!
Send a letter to your Representative by signing the letter below:
Click here if you think you have a Right to Know what’s in your food! Tell your elected officials that you care about GMO labeling and want to see them act immediately to pass this bill into law. Every voice counts!
We hope to see you there! But if you can’t make it, make sure to let your elected official know that you support GMO labeling and want New Hampshire to lead the way!
Thanks for participating in food democracy,
Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team.