This is urgent: If you support GMO labeling in New Hampshire, we need you to make a call to your representative today! Tomorrow, an important vote will take place in the NH House and we need you to make calls and send letters to your Representatives to get their support for HB 660.
Unfortunately, tomorrow morning, Monsanto and the biotech industry is having a breakfast with NH representatives to try to convince them that GMO labeling is expensive and hard to implement. Without your call, the last voice your Rep could hear from is Biotechnology Industry Organization and the Grocery Manufacturers Association and their lobbyists.
Help fight their propaganda today!
Contact your REP today to support HB 660, so NH can become the 3rd state to pass such a bill - Vote Yes on HB 660.
To find your representative's phone number, click on the 1st link below:
1. Please make the call! - If you have a two minutes to spare today - make a call to your legislator and let them know you support strong mandatory GMO labeling! Tell New Hampshire to pass a bill this year! Every voice counts!
To send a letter:
Support GMO Labeling - Help Pass HB 660 a Strong Consumer Protection Bill!
VOTE SCHEDULED Wednesday, JAN 15TH:
This week a vote is scheduled to take place in the NH House on HB 660 a bill "Requiring Labeling of Genetically Engineered Foods & Agricultural Commodities,” on January 15th on the House floor. Make sure your legislators here from you today!
- HB 660 Will Pass Constitutional Challenge. The language in New Hampshire's HB 660 has been reviewed by legal and constitutional experts who remain confident that should it be challenged in court, it will stand up to constitutional scrutiny.
- Right-to-Know is a Basic Consumer Right. HB 660 is a consumer rights bill aimed at providing simple label transparency to New Hampshire citizens. It doesn't make a judgment as to whether GMOs are good or bad - it just requires food manufacturers to be honest and let citizens know whether a food is the result of genetic engineering.
- GMO Labeling Costs Will NOT Cause Food Price Increases. Food corporations already regularly change their labels for marketing reasons. Practical GMO labeling experience worldwide, as well as university studies prove that mandatory GMO labeling, will NOT affect the price consumers pay for food.
- No Scientific Consensus on Safety of GMOs. Despite continued claims from Monsanto and the biotech industry, significant disagreement within the scientific community remains about the safety of genetically engineered crops and their accompanying pesticides, such as the popular weedkiller Roundup. Earlier this year more than 300 scientists signed a declaration stating No scientific consensus on GMO safety.
- According to a scientific poll conducted this fall, 90 % of New Hampshire voters support their right to know about GMO food.
This is an urgent vote and hands on deck moment! If you've already made a call, please forward this information onto everyone that you know!
Already citizens in 64 other countries enjoy the basic right of knowing if their food has been genetically engineered in a laboratory. But for the past 20 years Americans have been denied this democratic right because of powerful special interests of Big Food, the biotech industry and agribusiness lobbyists.
You can help change that today! For years, activists across New Hampshire have been working hard to introduce reasonable legislation that would give this basic information to consumers about their food.
In the past two years, Monsanto and giant junk food companies have spent more than $70 million to kill GMO labeling in California and Washington, we can't let them get away with it in New Hampshire!
Send a letter to your Representative by signing the letter below:
Click here if you think you have a Right to Know what’s in your food! Tell your elected officials that you care about GMO labeling and want to see them act immediately to pass this bill into law. Every voice counts!
We hope to see you there! But if you can’t make it, make sure to let your elected official know that you support GMO labeling and want New Hampshire to lead the way!